Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Re-defining "Fun"

Not often prone to surfing the internet, I decided last week to buck that trend. I plunked myself down with morning coffee and logged on to a horse web site that offers 10-minute videos on every equine topic imaginable. Initially, I planned to check out videos about any discipline outside my daily world as a dressage trainer, like maybe an expose on spotted draft horses or the price of hay in Iowa. But then I saw a really curiously title that yanked my attention: "The Fun of Dressage." What? I read it a few times to make sure I saw it right. The FUN of dressage?

Anyone who's spent five minutes either doing or watching the stiff-lipped sport of dressage knows that "fun" might not be the most accurate description. After all, we are talking about a pursuit based on trying to achieve perfection, not one where folks spend most of their saddle time laughing. I am by nature a studious creature, relishing in pursuits that require fierce concentration (which is a colorful way of saying I take myself too seriously), so dressage has always suited me. However, I DO recognize that we dressage riders quite often need a reminder to lighten up a little. Or a big "Don't Forget to Have Fun" sign hanging in the tack room.

When I stumbled upon this video, I thought maybe I'd found the Holy Grail we all needed. Perhaps this was something I could recommend to my students when they turn purple-faced from holding their breath and micro-analyzing the latest set of aids they picked up at a recent clinic with Mr. Famous European Trainer.

Click. I hit the play button, put my feet up, and readied myself for a good chuckle. Bring on The FUN of Dressage. Curiously, a stiff-lipped British fellow opened the first scene in customarily tight beige riding apparel. He donned a riding helmet and leather gloves-- everything clean and tidy. He stood in the middle of a perfectly groomed arena with manicured flowers landscaped around its edges. The camera zoomed in for a close-up as he reminded viewers that learning dressage can be fun. Just to give us all a sample of this process, he mounted up on a gleaming Warmblood whose trot looked so uncomfortable that it would probably bounce the kidneys out of any mere mortal who tried sitting it, except for this British chap.

By now, I'd become positively excited to see how this guy could transform the process of learning dressage from complicated/frustrating/fleeting to pure fun. I slurped my coffee and leaned forward closer to my computer screen. Bring on the FUN of Dressage, indeed!

The camera panned out now as this well-dressed British gentleman carried on in a bone-jarring sitting trot, trying at the same time to speak. Immediately, his face flushed and beaded with sweat. His eyes narrowed as he described the correct riding position and the camera focused on his nicely straight spine sucking up the shock of sitting the trot on this 17-hand catapulting horse. His breathing became irregular while demonstrating how to hold one's legs close to the horse's sides while riding. Viewers quickly recognized that, were this fellow not in exceptional physical fitness, his limbs would be whipped around like a rag doll's. He reminded viewers to hold their hands still when riding, and by now his face was truly contorted from fatigue and concentration. He asked his horse to walk so he could catch his breath.

So far, he hasn't said anything remotely humorous and he himself appeared to be in physical agony. What happened to the fun? I was still waiting for it. While regaining his breath, he gave the viewer a few allegedly light-hearted reminders. Make sure your horse uses his body properly at all times. Practice sitting trot without stirrups every week. Don't even think about going for a ride without doing a precise and consistent warm-up and cool-down.

And then the credits rolled. It was over. Surely, I missed something, even though I hadn't taken a bathroom break or even so much as averted my eyes once. Where was all the promised fun?? For its alluring title, the video ended up being just like all the others in the universal Dressage collection. It left the viewer with that combination inspired/deflated feeling that she is pursuing a sport that is, well, very difficult. It really is. There's no way around it. Damn! So much for the Holy Grail, or at the very least, a good side-splitting laugh.

Ah well. I suppose I'll just keep my brow furrowed as usual and keep concentrating intensely. But don't worry, I'll let you know when I find myself having a really FUN time when sitting the trot without stirrups.

3 comments:

Kate Schmidt-Hopper said...

Surely it was the IRONY that was supposed to be fun. But THANKFULLY, we readers have your observations, which most assuredly are FUN. Thank you for the big smile and the opportunity to CAPITALIZE for emphasis!

Anonymous said...

If I may, morning coffee before the FUN of dressage may indeed be the answer.

My question: how can one benefit from dressage?

Thanks

Stacy McLaughlin said...

I'm a perfectionist. When I was competing at Training Level, I had little fun and was often angry with my horse. When I realized this, I eventually decided to take a break from dressage do trail riding.

A couple of years later, I chanced upon a local trainer with a great sense of humor and decided to try dressage again. I LOVE dressage.

Most people tell me they've never heard so much laughling going on during a riding lesson as when I'm riding. I once laughed out loud (at myself) in a lesson taught by a serious military instructor. He reprimanded me for the outburst -- "you will scare your horse!" he exclaimed in his thick Portugese accent. I knew he was wrong. I laugh all the time when I'm riding. My horse is used to it.

Funny things happen all the time. Has your horse ever started walking backwards to avoid going forward? Or stopped at the gate of the arena after a half hour to tell you she's done? Have you ever found a mouse between your saddle pad and saddle? Have you ever ended up on your horse's neck when she suddenly bent down to eat grass? This stuff happens to me all the time. Maybe I just have a comical horse or maybe it's me that's comical....

Just chill out a little bit and step back and watch what's going on when you're riding. It's often very funny!

One caveat: THIS from an unsuccessful but happy dressage rider.