Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Shorter, Smarter

There's something about standing shorter than 15 hands that imbues members of the equine species with an attitude best suited for global rulers, bawdy cabaret performers, or criminals. Or all three. Ah yes, those feisty steeds we know and love as ponies.


Horseman's lore has long defined ponies as just plain ornery. But as a trainer, you tend to dismiss sweeping generalizations like this. How can one section of the equine population, each with completely different breeding and upbringings, share the same behaviors? Nah, it's just not plausible. We trainers like to believe that a horse's demeanor and attitude is the direct result of any handling and training he's had. All those stories about ponies bucking their riders off and galloping back to the barn, or ponies that turn from angels to stubborn beasts back to angels in the blink of an eye-- all these antics we trainers diagnose as simple training problems. Those particular sub-15 hand steeds have been allowed to do naughty things and therefore they continue to do so, we say.



Then along came Sally. Jet black, doe-eyed, and just 14 hands, this pot-bellied little Morgan mare strolled innocently into my training barn as a three-year old. She was the sweetest looking animal I'd laid eyes on. Or so I thought. She fixed me in her big-eyed gaze, sashayed her round rump around the stall and left me with the impression that I just scored a really easy training project. In hindsight, I can't stop laughing at the foolishness of my thinking.





I would estimate that for 80 percent of the time, Sally is pure delight. She is sweet, docile, pretty, mostly uncomplicated. Then there's that erratic 20 percent of the time when she is devilish, sneaky, and highly unpredictable. And as much as it pains me to admit this, no amount of good consistent training will ever change these facts. If Sally were taller than 15 hands, I might stand a chance. But she never will be. So, therefore I am forever at Sally's merciless whims.


There was one particularly memorable afternoon at Pebble Beach Dressage Show, a very high-pressured and classy competition, when 30 minutes before her scheduled class, Sally "colicked" in her stall. This is to say she buried herself in shavings, splayed out flat on her side, and could not be made to stand up. I got down in the dirt wearing my show jacket and boots trying to roll her up onto her knees at least, but the little pony laid out stiff as a board. Panicked, I called the vet and cancelled our class. Within about 60 seconds of my canceling the class, Sally hopped onto her feet, shook off her shavings, and batted her eyes at me. Had she been faking sickness? Nah, said my inner trainer voice, horses do not fake things.





When Sally's self-burial in shavings began happening at every competition we went to, I had to concede that the blasted doe-eyed mare was in fact out-smarting me. She was faking sickness in order to get out of this stupid thing called Dressage that she was being made to do, she let me know.


Sally sometimes goes months at a time behaving like the world's most perfect equine. She is so submissive and well-mannered that a complete novice could handle her no problem. And then one day, like today, half-way down the barn aisle she will stop dead in her tracks, grow roots, and refuse to move an inch further. She will become the world's most stubborn beast for a few sweaty moments as I cluck, pull, poke, and prod her forward to the cross-ties. Finally, when she budges, Sally blinks those big lashes of hers and looks at me as if to say "What was the problem?"



Our ride goes no better, though. She spooks at an imaginary something-or-other in the brush, which sends her tiny body squirting straight ahead at light speed bucking and snorting. When she regains her composure (amidst much yelling from me), she again stops dead in her tracks. Like she has grown roots into the ground. I kick. I tap with the whip. I scowl. This is a horse that I have competed all over California in all kinds of weather, noise, and disruption, sometimes competing in classes at 10pm, and yet here we are acting like she's never had a day of training in her life. She stands there flicking her ears, annoyed by my disturbance atop her back.

Finally, she obliges me and walks forward... and then swivels her neck around and grabs my stirrup in her mouth. Now we are cascading sideways towards the fence as a colleague of mine looks on in wonder. I know what she's thinking. After four years in training, horses just don't do these sorts of things.

Unfortunately, she had also last week witnessed a mishap when I was leading Sally to turnout. I marched along in my ever-alert and attentive trainer's way with Sally close at my heels. Seeing my fellow trainer, I nodded my chin briefly to say good morning, and in that nanosecond my eyes shifted their gaze, Sally struck. Like lightning, she darted sideways, yanking my arm nearly off my body. Once she had me off balance, she kept pulling. Her target: a patch of sweet spring grass 20 feet away. I stumbled and staggered, trying to yank her back into my control. But I soon found myself ankle-deep in a mud puddle and looked around for the quickest way out before I ruined my new Ariat paddock boots. Damn!

Now splattering mud in all directions, I was still yanking and growling at Miss Sally who had arrived at her destination and burrowed her face in grass (she avoided the mud puddle, by the way). "S-A-L-L-Y!!" I snarled as I tugged on her halter with a force that would dislodge a draft horse. But not a pony, obviously. She had again grown roots.

The other trainer abandoned any attempt at being polite. She now stared unabashedly at me. My face flushed with embarrassment. I knew how ridiculous the scene looked-- me , a trainer, getting dragged around like a novice child.

In that moment, I swallowed my pride and all my former beliefs in training, horsemanship, horse behavior, etc. I heard myself saying out loud what I once believed was just a cop-out for explaining behaviors that hadn't been properly addressed. Trust me, I have addressed ALL of Sally's behavior more than once.

"Ponies! You know, they just do the darnedest things," I mumbled to my colleague. "I mean, they're just plain ornery."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jec, I am just cracking up!!! I am in love with Sally! (But, thanks, I'll keep my 15 2 "Bi-Breed" Arab-Quarter mare....) Sally has a cohort at our barn. The world renowned, infamous Pumpkin! This pony is an absolute delight...actually, he's a SOURCE of delight. Watching him re-train every single person that tells us that "people are smarter than horses, so I should have no problems with this pony" is one of my favorite pastimes. To give him credit, I love to handle this guy, and if you cut him some slack, he will actually work for you and take care of you. But if you are not wise to the ways of ponies, you are fair game! He will lead the kids on a chase in the pasture when they try to catch him, and after a while, all we instructors have to do is grab a halter and enter the pasture. At this point, he walks right up to us and puts his head in the halter while our students look on with awe. (Hey, anything that makes students think you are amazing is a good thing, right?!) Then, once tied up, he will actually lean on the foot the hapless rider is trying to pick up and clean and let them tug and pull and plead. The minute they stand up to realign their spine, he shifts his weight. Did you know ponies can smile. This one does! Then, again, once the student is exhausted, The Instructor steps in, taps the pony's leg and the foot comes up as if by magic. Again awe from the student. Then, in the lesson, once the student is ready for the canter, he will trot and trot and trot, finally go into a canter...and swap leads. Then of course we have to have the rider bring him down to a trot as he is on the incorrect lead. Then he trots and trots and trots and finally canters, only to swap leads again. Doesn't matter which direction he is going either, he knows that if he swaps leads, he gets to trot-there's a pony for you! (Though he really gets annoyed when those of us who are wise to him ride him, and either make him do another flying change back, or use it to work on counter canter. The lead-swapping stops pretty quick--he's a smart guy!) Though the funniest thing he's ever done is his penchant for escaping his paddocks every time we go camping. He's good! He learned that his blanket will keep him from getting shocked by the electric tape we use for the portable corrals! So he was ducking under the tape, letting the blanket take the shock and escaping! Would have worked, too, except that he had a "Winnie the Pooh honey moment" and couldn't resist the temptation of my mare's cookie jar. She did NOT approve and sounded the alarm. Caught "cookie-nosed"! Now, to give him credit, Pumpkin Pony is a wonderful ride, and can really, really move and be light and fun. I love to ride him every chance I get, just not as much as I love to watch him "handle" people! Apparently I have a rather strange sense of humor....