Thursday, June 26, 2008

You do... What?

My friend Karen asked me last week what exactly I do for a living. And it was in that moment that I realized how tricky it was to describe my industry to an outsider. Being a city girl, Karen held no fond pattering in her heart for animals or dirt, and trying to explain to her that an entire culture existed around these two things made for an interesting conversation to say the least.

"Well, I train horses." This, to me, seemed pretty straightforward until someone like Karen points out a fact that we horse-obsessed humans overlook: horses are a heck of a lot bigger than us and in many ways smarter. So, who's actually doing the training, horse or human?

"You do...what?" she asked again.

"I work with horses."

"Wait, you work with horses? Or the people who own the horses?" Leave it to a journalist to go for details.

"Um, both, I guess. Yeah, both."

"And what exactly are you trying to get them to do?" she asked.

Here is where things get strange for an outsider, because at this point I have to explain that I train "dressage," which might be most closely compared to something like human figure skating or ballet in terms of how the horse performs and then this usually leads to all kinds of confused questions about whether or not the horse wears a tu tu or dances around to music. Here I back-pedal, explaining that I was merely making an analogy, but no seriously, in "dressage" the horse learns to use his body a certain way and move his legs a certain way and--

"And they want to do this?" asks my friend.

A legitimate question indeed. They may not dream of it at night in their stalls, but yes some horses quite enjoy it. But maybe the more important thing is that their owners (who keep me in business) derive large sums of satisfaction and--

"So, you actually make a living doing this?" asks Karen.

This is the part of the conversation where answers start eluding me. Those of you reading this who work in reputable industries and make honest livings would be surprised how tricky it is to describe why you might choose to work in an industry where you did not make livable wages.

"Well, no, not exactly. I mean, yes, I pay my rent and all that, but, well, no.." Then, finally, I stop my stammering by making the broad pronouncement that "No, nobody in the horse industry actually makes any money, but...."

The confusion ensues. After a polite pause, Karen interrupts again--

"If nobody makes any money, why do people do it?" Another legitimate question.

In my entire lifetime with horses, I have not found an answer that satisfies outsiders like my city friend Karen. The best I can say is that we horse folks have a heck of a lot of love for those four-legged beasts and somehow we don't mind draining our wallets, working relentlessly for no pay, and falling asleep exhausted at the end of a day. I looked at Karen, smiled, and replied:

"We're all freaks. That's why."

























4 comments:

Sherry L. Ackerman said...

I do the same thing, actually. Only I have been doing it for a hell of alot longer. I have to say that I never have any trouble falling asleep at night and can't understand people who do. I've never had a manicure. Most people think I have arthritis because my knuckles are so swollen, but that's just from lugging water buckets. I've tried a number of facial products to try to iron out the sun lines, but...well, that hasn't worked either. Let me know if you find a place looking for a Philosopher!

Anonymous said...

I too have been asked to rationalize my horse dedication to non-horse people. It's hard to convince someone how rewarding it is to create a communication and partnership with a large reactive prey animal like the horse. But when you have, however fleetingly, established real contact with this beautiful, honest, intelligent and powerful creature, it is as rewarding as any human relationship. In fact, further contemplation reveals that this challenging relationship is similar to that we women attempt to make with our husbands; except that horses are infinitely more trainable and don't spoil the moment by saying something stupid! And when the dance is harmonious, Ginger Rogers had nothing on us horse women--and we get to lead!

Anonymous said...

Those who don't get it never will. I don't make any money with horses but I sure do spend a lot and never with a second thought. Their needs come first and they repay me in the best possible way...by simply being horses. A secret that only some can enjoy.

Anonymous said...

My sister is an avid horse lover, which is something that I never personally understood. Of course, being siblings, whatever she loved I had to hate. For example: she loved horses and cabbage patch kids and I hated them both. (I did however like the Care Bears, a fact of which I am still ashamed of today on some level.)
Today, my sister is now a graduate student studying horse nutrition at Virginia Tech. I suppose she will make her living doing something horse related. kudos to her. I still don't understand it.